The Nebula Award–winning author of Kindred presents a "gripping" dystopian novel about a woman fleeing Los Angeles as America spirals into chaos (The New York Times Book Review).
"A stunner." —Flea, musician and actor, TheWall Street Journal
Lauren Olamina and her family live in one of the only safe neighborhoods remaining on the outskirts of Los Angeles. Behind the walls of their defended enclave, Lauren's father, a preacher, and a handful of other citizens try to salvage what remains of a culture that has been destroyed by drugs, disease, war, and chronic water shortages. While her father tries to lead people on the righteous path, Lauren struggles with hyperempathy, a condition that makes her extraordinarily sensitive to the pain of others.
When fire destroys their compound, Lauren's family is killed and she is forced out into a world that is fraught with danger. With a handful of other refugees, Lauren must make her way north to safety, along the way conceiving a revolutionary idea that may mean salvation for all mankind.
This ebook features an illustrated biography of Octavia E. Butler including rare images from the author's estate.
- New eBooks
- Covers We Love!
- Hauntings and Homecomings
- Scream Queens: Horror Written by Female Authors
- Swoon Worthy Rom Coms
- Clean Reads
- Looking for a Book Club Read?
- Oprah's Book Club
- HTX Local Author Spotlight
- See all
- Just Added Fiction - Audiobooks
- AudioFile Earphones Awards 2019 Cumulative List
- True Crime Chillers
- Cozy Whodunits
- Trip the Sound Fantastic
- Love in the Time of Social Distancing
- Tales for the Whole Family
- Learn a New Language!
- New audiobook additions
- Time After Time
- See all
- New video additions
- Just Added Videos
- Fitness Protection
- Western Movies Worth the Ride Over
- The Great Courses - New Titles!
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Films
- Reality TV
- TV Binge Time!
- New kids additions
- See all